Monday 28 January 2013

ICE TYPOGRAPHY!

Another University Project (year 3!)  

This project shed AT LEAST 6 years off my life expectancy due to the amount of stressed it caused me! 

This module was called 'Experimental Typography 3', and the deal was you could pick any famous quote you wanted and take it out of its context. Let me elaborate (the complicated part) Taking it out of its context and giving the quote a whole new meaning! So I decided to go with the famous Spock quote "Live long and prosper" as everyone knows this is meant (in its context) as a greeting wishing people a rich and happy life.. 
I decided to take things to a new level and making it about exceeding in your career (prospering) enough that you will (live long) in memory E.G Vincent Van Gogh he died at the age of 37 YET 123 years later we still study and talk about him and his work… 

Do you see where I'm going with this? He's 'lived long in memory' longer then he actually lived for!

ANYWAY MY CONCEPT (as that was my rational…


I thought it would be interesting to use a media that didn't last long at all (contradicting what it's saying) but is capable of leaving a mark on something indefinitely. 
Out of coincidence I got a set of typographic/alphabet ice cube set for christmas! 
That's where the experimenting began. I shan't go in to grave detail of my step by step of what I did.. but it ended up me adding Windsor inks and all sorts of colour dyes to water and freezing them in my letter moulds. Once they were frozen I started looking at how each media melted and what effect it had on different types of papers!




Before I knew it my whole idea had evolved, I ended up buying £47 pounds worth of custom made silicone moulds (on a larger scale to my ice cube set) Learn't the art of engraving with wax onto cotton fabrics, I also learnt how to effectively customise ikea shelving units to suit my artistic needs!  

BASICALLY 

I designed the dyed ice letters to hang from a shelving unit and drip on to a cotton canvas and staining it apart from the waxed out words…. 

Argghhh the Images will talk for themselves better then I can! 








Add caption

Overall, it was a great experience, I've learn't a lot from it and I know it's not something I would be able to do in industry (that's for certain, its very faffy and time consuming

That in mind I made sure that it was important for it to look and become more of an exhibition piece, a piece of art. 

p.s :) : 
BELIEVE ME, IT HAS LIVED UP TO IT'S NEW MEANING AND LEFT A MARK… 
The splash back from the inky water has PERMANENTLY stained our studio flooring/wall! 

:P 

whooopppssss! 

No comments:

Post a Comment