Friday 13 July 2012

Oggy oggy oggy, Oil Oil Oil!

This was a social issue project I did at uni. (2nd year)
 I decided to be different and avoid the obvious bullying and eating campaigns and try educate people about some underlying problems you don't see or hear about very often.
I created 3 different posters an interactive one an animated one and the standard static poster.
However I can't upload the interactive poster of animated poster atm as they are .swf files and I'm not sure how how to add them on here just yet so I've added in some screenshots.

Static Poster



Animated (screenshot) 


The timer in the middle (41:09:00 etc) counts down quietly in the middle of the poster, I did this because I think it's quite a powerful effect. The timer is something you can't stop or reset, it's based on real statistics (http://www.worldometers.info). Personally I think the  animated poster sitting quietly in the background ticking away in shopping centres and train stations mimics how little people pay attention to the issue or even know about it!


Interactive Poster (screenshots)


I felt quite panicked myself, I remember laying in bed at night while I was doing this project and thinking to myself I will be in my 60's when this is meant to happen (if consumed at current rates) and my possible children in the future will be dealing with this issue at its prime. It wasn't great took me ages to knock off at night. 
I needed to find something positive to come out of the unchangeable issue (as the aim wasn't to cause mass panic) This was hard to  to get my head around, specially after doing ridiculous amounts of research on the subject, I watched lectures, films, documentaries, read articles after articles so I knew what I was really happening behind the scenes. I stumbled across a japanese invention which can turn used and recycled plastics back into its original oil form. 
(if you wish to know more - http://www.designboom.com/technology/plastic-to-oil-conversion-machine/ - be my guest)

So I based my Interactive poster about this machine and show people that there's a possibility for change.





hope you like :) 












No comments:

Post a Comment